Part I Vocabulary and Structure (40 points)
Section A (每题 1 分，共 30 分)
Direction: There are 30 incomplete statements in this section. You are required to complete each statement by choosing the appropriate answer from the 4 choices marked A, B, C, and D.
1. I was ill that day. Mr. Smith took my class________.
A. instead of
C. in place of
2. No matter how tired you are, it would be_______to read this science fiction novel.
3._____________is well-known to all, too much stress can cause disease.
4. The project to clear up the polluted river________by the end of next year.
A. will have been completed
B. is being completed
C. Will have completed
D. has been completed
5. It is required that all would-be employees__________citizens of this country.
D. will be
6. The guide spoke so quickly that I could hardly_________what he said.
7. When__________a picture taken, you should try to smile.
C. to have
8. My transistor radio is out of work. It_____________.
A. need to be repaired
B. needs to repair
C. need repairing
D. needs repairing
9. Only when he had done it________that he had made a mistake.
A. he then realized
B. he realized
C. did he realize
D. before he realize
10. The English teacher asked the students to_________their English texts aloud.
A. set aside
B. set up
C. set about
D. set off
11. They__________because no one answers the door.第 13 页 共 95 页
A. must have left
B. can have left
C. should have left
D. may have left
12. Mr. Martin is too busy to spare any time__________Sunday afternoon.
A. except for
B. except on
D. only in
13. It proved that this kind of medicine had no___________on the patient.
14.They always give the free meal__________to comes first.
15. There is a_________of a thousand pounds offered for the capture of the murder.
16. I was___________which country to visit in the coming summer vacation.
17. The book is_________more difficult than the one I recommended to you.
18. Because of the heavy rain, the game was put__________until next Sunday.
19. In Britain the__________on a letter is now twelve pence.
20. The engine_________smoke and steam.
A. gives up
B. gives in
C. gives away
D. gives off
21. Either the boy or his twin brother must have eaten
22. Swimming is a more strenuous daily exercise than_________.
A. to walk
23. In winter a snake is stiff with cold but still______.
24. They want to talk to the lawyer who is________this case.
A. incharge of
B. talking with
C. responsible of
D. charge with
25. I’m not the one who pushed you,__________?
A. am I
B. was I
C. did I
D. do I
26. This is the book_______I was telling you just now.
A. about that
B. in that
C. in which
D. about which
27. Scientists say it may be ten years___________the medicine was put to use.
28. The stronger the coffee is,_________.
A. the more I like
B. the better I like it
C. I like it better
D. I like it more
29. Supposing you_________write, what would you do?
C. may not
D. are unable
30. No one________that to his face.
A. dares say
B. dares says
C. dare says
D. dare say
Section B (每小题 1 分，共 10 分)
Direction: There are 10 incomplete statements here. You should fill in the blanks with the proper form of the words given in the brackets.
31. When I found Mary,she (play)__________table tennis with her friend John.
32. The (manage)________of a company is a very important part of its commercial success.
33. This is the (good)________photo I have ever taken.
34. He said "Good morning" in a most (friend)_______way.
35. I don’t remember ever (speak)________ill behind you back.
36. She said that it was her first (appear)_______on the stage.
37. There was indeed no reason for his (excite)________over the matter.
38. It’s very (thought)_______and very kind of you to offer me a job in you company.
39. The manager believes it is important to invest in new machinery rather than (increase)__________wages.
40. The doctor received an (urge)_________call from the parents of an injured child.
Part II Reading Comprehension (40 points)
Direction: After reading each passage, you will find 5 questions or unfinished statements. For each question or statement, there are 4 choices marked A, B, C, and D. You should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
Task 1 (每题 2 分，共 10 分)
Too many people want others to be their friends, but they don't give friendship back.That is why some friendships don't last long. To have a friend, you must learn to be one. You must learn to treat your friend the way you want your friend to treat you.Learning to be a good friend means learning three rules: be honest; be generous; be understanding.
Honesty is where a good friendship starts. Friends must be able to trust one another. If you do not tell the truth, people usually find out. If a friend finds out that you haven't been honest, you may lose your friend’s trust. Good friends always rely on one another to speak and act honestly. Generosity means sharing and sharing makes a friendship grow. You do not have to you're your lunch money or your clothes.Naturally you will want to share your ideas and feelings. These can be very valuable to a friend. They tell your friend what is important to you. By sharing them, you help your friend know better.
Sooner or later everyone needs understanding and help with each other. Something may go wrong at school.Talking about the problem can make it easier to solve. Turning to a friend can be a first step in solving the problem. So to be a friend you must listen and understand.You must try to put yourself in your friend’s place so that you can understand the problem better. No two friendships are exactly alike. But all true friendships have three things in common. If you plan to keep your friends, you must practice honesty, generosity and understanding.
41. Some friendships don't last long because______.
A. there are too many people who want to make friends
B. some people receive friendship but don't give friendship back
C. those who give others friendship receive friendship from others
D. they don't know friendship is something serious
42. According to the passage, honesty is_______.
A. something countable
B. the base of friendship
C. as important as money
D. more important than anything else
43. Which of the following isn't mentioned in the passage?
A. Always tell your friends the truth.
B. Sharing your mind with your friends is of great value.
C. Discussing your problems with your friends often helps to solve the problem.
D. A friend who gives you his lunch money is a true friend.
44. In the third paragraph,the underlined word“they”refers to(指)______.
A. generosity and friendship
B. generosity and sharing
C. your ideas and feelings
D. your clothes
45. The best title of this passage is________.
A. Honesty Is the Best Policy
B. A Friend in Need Is a Friend indeed
C. How to Be Friends
D. Three Important Points in Life
Task 2 (每题 2 分，共 10 分)
There are cockroaches (蟑螂)everywhere on Earth except the places that are covered with ice. Scientists have discovered about 3,500 different species of cockroach. There is just one human species!Cockroaches can be anything in size from about five mm to nine cm. Although five mm is very small, nine cm is as long as a large rat.
It is very difficult to catch most cockroaches. They “see” with the hairs on their bodies. These hairs can feel the smallest movement in the air, so the cockroaches know immediately something moves, and run to safety.
Of all the species of cockroach, fortunately only three live among humans and are a serious problem. They are the German, the Oriental, and the American. One egg case of the German cockroach can produce as many as seven million cockroaches in 12 months!
Our main problem with cockroaches is that not only do they look ugly to us, but they also carry diseases. They are particularly dangerous in hospitals as they eat all kinds of hospital waste or get it on their bodies. They can then carry this waste, which may contain dangerous bacteria, on to food which is then eaten by people in the hospital.
Most of the bacteria that cause food poisoning have been found in the stomachs of cockroaches, so it is important that cockroaches should be kept out of restaurants and other places where food is prepared.
Many people work and try to destroy cockroaches, but as soon as they find one way of doing it, the cockroaches “learn” how to deal with it. Electricity does not always kill them and they can avoid most poisons or “learn” how to deal with others. At one time, scientists thought that radiation would kill them, but they have been on Earth for about 300 million years, and it does not harm them as much as it does us.
It seems probable that when there are no longer human beings living on the Earth, cockroaches will still be here.
46. Cockroaches do not live_________.
A. in homes
B. in hospitals
C. in the coldest part of the world
D. with humans
47. Cockroaches can sense someone is near_______.
A. by touching them with their hairs
B. by hearing them
C. by running away
D. by feeling their movement
48. Cockroaches can hurt humans with________.
A. their claws
B. Their teeth
C. the bacteria they carry
D. the radiation they give off
49. Paragraph 6 says that________.
A. cockroaches do not die
B. cockroaches can not be killed
C. radiation kills cockroaches
D. it is difficult to kill cockroaches
50. The passage is mainly about______.
A. how and where cockroaches live
B. how to get rid of cockroaches
C. how important cockroaches are to us
D. when cockroaches were first discovered
Task 3 (每题 2 分，共 10 分)
City traffic jam-one of the least wanted effects of the motor vehicle-is something with which we're all familiar and for which most of us have an answer. But which solution is best?
Some people suggest for better roads, others for cars to be banned (禁止) from city centers and yet others say better public transport would attract drivers from their lonely and boring journeys.
But the important questions what natural power creates a big city center.We are, after all, in an age of electronic communication;our big shopping areas have moved out of city centers, and our living areas moved out of them long ago.
Yet some force causes offices and service industries related to them to gather in London or New York or Tokyo. This suggests that far from the problems of a crowded environment forcing companies and people to move out, there is a critical( 重 大 的 ) size beyond which more companies are attracted to move in. Nobody seems to know why, yet the answer is important to the way traffic jam is dealt with.
51. Which of the following is NOT mentioned in the passage as the cause of the traffic problem?
A. The poor public transport.
B. The over-concentration of shopping centers.
C. The great number of cars in the city centers.
D. The bad road conditions.
52. According to the passage, offices and their associated service industries move to big cities because of________.
A. the convenience of communication
B. the gathering of companies
C. some unknown force
D. the convenience of shopping
53. The word "This" (Line 2, Para. 4) refers to________.
A. some force
B. traffic jam
C. the -force that causes offices to move in or out
D. the fact that companies gather in big cities
54. This passage is most likely taken from_______.
A. a novel
B. a TV play
C. an instruction
D. a news report
55. The topic of this passage would probably be___________.
A. Best Answer to Traffic Problem
B. The Banning of Cars in the City Center
C. The Formation of City Center
D. Searching for Ways to Solve Traffic Problem
Task 4 (每题 2 分，共 10 分)
Direction: Read the following passage, and then decide whether the statements (No. 56 to No. 60) are true (T) or false (F)
Once every ten years, the consumer electronics industry — the industry which gives people the means to enjoy live and recorded entertainment in their homes has come up with a major new product. First, there was color TV in the 1960s. Next came hi-fi(1970s) and more recently, in the 1980s, the video cassette recorder(VCR).
When the industry introduced color TV in the 1960s, it did so just in time. In most big markets, sales of black and write TV had been in decline for several years. Color TV soon became popular and in the next five years its market share rose from 10% to just over 40%. In the 1970s its share of the market fell dramatically and by the mid-1980s, color TV accounted for less than 20% of the industry's total sales.
Hi-fi came on the market around the same time as color television,but its initial share of the market was larger. In 1965 it was already 30% and ten years later it was over 50%. Sales then fell steadily until the mid-1980s and the introduction of the compact disc. Although they were twice as expensive as records, they soon caught on and as a result, hi-fi’s market share rose again.
The VCR was the success story of the 1980s. Like television, it was neither a replacement nor an improvement, but a brand-new idea. And it created a new demand among consumers. In 1975, the VCR's share of the market was just 5%. Ten years later it was over40%. Since then, it has declined steadily and is unlikely to rise again.
So the question is what next? What will be the VCR of the next decade?
( ) 56. Once every ten years the electronics industry comes up with a major new product.
( ) 57. The share of color TV rises steadily up to now.
( ) 58. The VCR was a replacement of hi-fi.
( ) 59. The VCR’s share of the market has declined steadily since 1985.
( ) 60. It can be inferred that a new product will be introduced into the market over the next ten years.
Part III Cloze (15 points)
Direction: In this section, there are 10 blanks in the following. For each bland there are two choices marked A and B. You should choose the right answer that best fits into the passage.
You've probably had the experience of having someone fall in love with you when you didn’t return the feeling. In such a 61 it's hard to know what to do.
You want to 62 your admirer.Yet you don’t want to be so obvious in your efforts that you make an enemy of him or her.
A friend of mine had this problem and 63 it in the most tactful way I've 64 seen. In stead of telling the young man that she found it tiresome to have him around so much, she 65 herself to introducing him to every girl she knew 66 she had a 67 with him, she arranged for them to drop in at the home of one of her girlfriends. A few weeks was all it 68 for him to click (一见如故)with one of these girls, and then everyone was happy.
The new girl and the young man got along just fine and both of them were grateful to my friend for having brought them together. My friend was rid of a problem and she till had the young man as a friend, which was just what she wanted him to be.
Of course this solution may not work for you. You may have your own ways of dealing with the problem. But whatever you decide to do,keep one thing 69 mind---the boy in question has feeling every bit as sensitive as your own. So try to find a way of discouraging him without 70 him.
61. A. case
62. A. encourage
63. A. treated
64. A. ever
65. A. dedicated
66. A. whenever
67. A. date
68. A. spent
69. A. on
70. A. hurting
Part IV Translation(30 points)
Section A(每题 3 分，共 15 分)
Direction: Translate the following sentences into Chinese.
71. After working all day, he fell asleep as soon as he lay down.
72. That day she made history as she became the first woman ever to win three
gold medals in the same Olympic Games.
73. As the world becomes smaller, there will soon be no way to avoid English.
74. Lately, however, Americans are waking up to the advantages of healthy eating.
75. Successful people achieve their dreams because they don’t give up.
Section B (每题 3 分，共 15 分)
Direction: Translate the following sentences into English.
76. 她经常给她的高中老师写信，把自己的情况告诉他。(write，tell about)
77. 他的自尊心太强了，绝不接受你的同情。(too proud to，sympathy)
79. 我们只有一个星期时间准备考试了。( get ready)
80. 他们己经做到了他们许诺要做的一切。( promise)
Part V Writing (25 points)
Direction: Write a composition about Living On or Off Campus with the information given below (At least 100 words).
参考单词： beside， make full use of， last but not least， get along with ,Living On or Off Campus